This was my first Ludum Dare project. I really liked the theme, but I definitely liked the project I chose. I dusted off an old idea and an old name (but made entirely new assets).
Abandoned Planet has the player taking control of the lone survivor of an unknown space catastrophe, she finds herself stranded on a planet and has to find a way to get herself rescued.
Play it here
WASD or Arrow Keys – movement
Mouse – Aim/Look
LeftMouse – Use device / drop carried item
RightMouse – Use Device Alternate
Mouse Wheel – Switch through Devices
E – pickup nearby item / drop carried item
F – Flash Light
1 – Drink Water
2 – Eat Food
3 – Find Hope
The ultimate plan is that players must figure things out for themselves, a walkthrough to the (simple, for the moment) completion will follow sometime soonish.
Things to consider
The resource mechanic hasn’t been as fleshed out as I’d have liked, for instance hope is supposed to be far more intricate, I will be updating the game in future to make it more important.
RetroEpic Software, the indie studio I co-founded, recently released our first commercial game, A Day in the Woods. The game is available for both PC and Mac OSx.
The game has players controlling a customizable woodsprite that must guide Little Red Riding Hood to granny’s cottage in a hex-based sliding tile puzzler.
Go here here: http://retroepic.com/a-day-in-the-woods to see more screenshots, watch a gameplay trailer, download the demo and even purchase the game (only $4.99, what are you waiting for! Feed the indies!).
All the 3D assets and a few animations were made in Blender, with textures painted primarily in Gimp with a few done in Photoshop.
More info, for the technically curious
My role in the process was Lead Programmer and tools guy. We used a custom-built Blender 2.5x on PC and Mac. Most of the addons available on this site were employed to a greater or lesser degree. Our texture artist made extensive use of Blender’s texture painting for our awesome textures and even some sculpting. The game runs on the Unity 3D engine.
Assets were exported to Unity 3D using my hacked FBX exporter that allows for true Y-Up export. My Unity 3D export pipeline was also used, which manages the rapid export of multiple assets from a single file, defined by groups with dupli-offsets. To speed exporting up each mesh was created in it’s own .blend file, then a a few larger library .blends were created that linked groups out of the individual files. The assets were then exported out of that single file, so that scales and rotations could be consistent.
Our trailer was sequenced in Blender too from fraps recorded in-game footage, despite a rocky start with converting absolute to relative paths and some issues with speed (I really need to learn how proxies work :P) it all went pretty well.
If there are any more questions, drop me a line in the comments and I’ll make additions to this post.
I’ve updated UV Helper for 2.57, there are little to no functional changes, I still need to figure some things out before I can do something spectacular 😉
Download it here: Wahooney UV Helper for 2.57
UV Helpers is a tool that allows one to modify the texture coordinates at once. Built for Blender 2.55.
Download it here: wahooney_uv_helper
Right now it requires two distinct steps to get the process going, I hope to have the process happen more discreetly in future, but as it stands the addon is very usable.
Feedback and stuff, please!
Cables, vines, tentacles and pipes can be very fiddly things to unwrap, a proces made much easier by the cool UV tools within Blender! The video tutorial below goes through the process from beginning to end, complete with an example of what to do when a common UV unwrapping error occurrs: unwrapping a mesh with inconsistent normals.
As usual comments and crits welcome.