Updates by popular demand!

Hi all,

Work has been crazy lately so updates have been few and far between, but here are a few updates for popular scripts:

http://db.tt/WMO375Bw

I will be dropping scripts into that Dropbox folder as they are updated, so be sure to check it out from time to time.

Enjoy!

P.S. if you use these scripts on any interesting project feel free to drop a link in the comments, I’d love to see them!

New Addon: Set Bone Lengths (UPDATED)

Hello everybody!

How’re yall doing? Have you ever wanted to scale bones towards/away from the head/tail? Now you can with:

wahooney_set_bone_lengths

Adjust lengths to an absolute length or scale them relatively, scale from the head or the tail, or anything in between!

Warning, works best on bones without children, hierarchy aware transforms coming… sometime… soon… -ish.

Seems that was easier than I thought. Another warning, however, if you scale a complex hierarchy away from the tail (Bias = 0.0) things do get a bit unpredictable, unfortunately that is just the nature of the beast and nothing will fix that.

Enjoy! Like! Tweet! +1!

Updated UV Scripts! And a new script! And another promise!

Hello all my faithful followers! I’ve called you both over here today to celebrate some scripts that have been updated for Blender 2.6.2:

wahooney_copy_mirror_uvs

wahooney_uv_helper

Both work in 2.6.2 now and have had some minor tweaks for more erratic behaviour, including Copy Mirror UVs not copying triangles.

I’ve also included a smaller script that I’ve found useful for a number of projects:

wahooney_random_object_colour

This randomizes the colour of all selected objects within the specified limits. Use the object colour in your material to make use of this.

I hope you all enjoy and I hope to be updating this site more frequently ( as I always promise :P ).

Ludum Dare #22 – Abandoned Planet

This was my first Ludum Dare project. I really liked the theme, but I definitely liked the project I chose. I dusted off an old idea and an old name (but made entirely new assets).

Abandoned Planet has the player taking control of the lone survivor of an unknown space catastrophe, she finds herself stranded on a planet and has to find a way to get herself rescued.

Play it here

Controls are:

WASD or Arrow Keys – movement
Mouse – Aim/Look
LeftMouse – Use device / drop carried item
RightMouse – Use Device Alternate
Mouse Wheel – Switch through Devices
E – pickup nearby item / drop carried item
F – Flash Light
1 – Drink Water
2 – Eat Food
3 – Find Hope

 Instructions

The ultimate plan is that players must figure things out for themselves, a walkthrough to the (simple, for the moment) completion will follow sometime soonish.

Things to consider 

The resource mechanic hasn’t been as fleshed out as I’d have liked, for instance hope is supposed to be far more intricate, I will be updating the game in future to make it more important.

A Day in the Woods

A Day in the woods. Our first commercial game!

RetroEpic Software, the indie studio I co-founded, recently released our first commercial game, A Day in the Woods. The game is available for both PC and Mac OSx.

The game has players controlling a customizable woodsprite that must guide Little Red Riding Hood to granny’s cottage in a hex-based sliding tile puzzler.

Go here here: http://retroepic.com/a-day-in-the-woods to see more screenshots, watch a gameplay trailer, download the demo and even purchase the game  (only $4.99, what are you waiting for! Feed the indies!).

All the 3D assets and a few animations were made in Blender, with textures painted primarily in Gimp with a few done in Photoshop.

More info, for the technically curious

My role in the process was Lead Programmer and tools guy. We used a custom-built Blender 2.5x on PC and Mac. Most of the addons available on this site were employed to a greater or lesser degree. Our texture artist made extensive use of Blender’s texture painting for our awesome textures and even some sculpting. The game runs on the Unity 3D engine.

Assets were exported to Unity 3D using my hacked FBX exporter that allows for true Y-Up export. My Unity 3D export pipeline was also used, which manages the rapid export of multiple assets from a single file, defined by groups with dupli-offsets. To speed exporting up each mesh was created in it’s own .blend file, then a a few larger library .blends were created that linked groups out of the individual files. The assets were then exported out of that single file, so that scales and rotations could be consistent.

Our trailer was sequenced in Blender too from fraps recorded in-game footage, despite a rocky start with converting absolute to relative paths and some issues with speed (I really need to learn how proxies work :P) it all went pretty well.

If there are any more questions, drop me a line in the comments and I’ll make additions to this post.

step into the light